There is no way to know what specific substance or substances a dog has been exposed to, and therefore there is no single symptom that points specifically to poisoning in dogs. The signs mentioned in this article (such as vomiting and diarrhea) can be seen when dogs are poisoned by many different toxins. Therefore, it will be important for you to share as much detailed information as possible with your veterinarian so that he or she can provide the best possible care.
Signs of poisoning may include:
-Vomiting and diarrhea (with or without blood)
–Diagnostic testing may show evidence of organ dysfunction or disease, depending on what is making the dog sick. These laboratory tests are used to determine if organ systems are involved, and whether they are showing signs of inflammation or dysfunction. Some toxins may cause the body to release inflammatory proteins into the bloodstream that can be measured by blood tests.
-For example, with strychnine poisoning, the dog’s blood pressure may drop dramatically which would require fluid therapy or in severe cases, a medication called dobutamine may be given intravenously to help the heart work more efficiently.
Do you know what is in your weed killer? … Or if deadly nightshade berries are growing on your property? There are some really toxic plants, fungi and chemicals that are commonly mistaken for edible items by dogs. It is important that you know what is growing in or around your backyard, and always ask for professional help if you are unsure.
–All of these signs can be caused by many different toxins; therefore, it will be important to work closely with your veterinarian (and possibly the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435) to determine what made your dog sick.
-For safety reasons, it is best to have the product packaging/bottle available for reference when speaking with a poison control specialist or veterinarian. This will help them identify the specific toxin and determine proper treatment options.
–You may be asked a lot of questions about your dog’s symptoms and recent activities. This is an important part of making a proper diagnosis and giving your dog the best chance for a complete recovery.
–It is very important that you seek veterinary help as soon as possible after noticing any symptoms or changes in behavior. The earlier you bring your pet in, the higher the potential for successful treatment. In some cases, it is safer to induce vomiting at home (if instructed by your veterinarian), rather than waiting for the pet to develop more serious symptoms.
-If you are ever in doubt, always seek immediate veterinary attention.
What are some types of poisons? What are some signs I should look out for?
There are many potential toxins that can poison dogs. Some of the most common types are presented below.
Plants: any part of a plant, including leaves, flowers, seeds, bark or roots can cause problems for pets if ingested in high enough amounts. Some plants may not be toxic to your dog but they could make him sick by causing an upset stomach or intestinal irritation.
-For example, sago palms are a common landscape plant that contains cycasin, which is a toxin that can cause liver failure in your dog if he eats enough of it. Even though the plant may not necessarily be toxic to dogs, it could still potentially make them sick.